For Youth Development, For Healthy Living, For Social Responsibility
Helping the Community Have a Better Quality of Life
American Rescue Plan (ARPA) Electric & Gas Utility Arrearage Assistance Program
Your Community Wellness Center
At Dryades YMCA, we are more than a gym. We are a community driven by the belief that our actions can make a difference. Our focus is on the well-being of our community in New Orleans, LA.
Our Wellness Center is the heart of our operation. It's a place for health and wellness, where individuals and families can work towards their fitness goals. We provide a diverse selection of gym equipment and offer a range of fitness classes. We invite you to join our Wellness Center and experience the difference it can make to your health and well-being.
We believe in the power of family activities. We offer a variety of programs that cater to all ages and interests. From swimming lessons to youth sports, we aim to provide a fun and safe environment for everyone. If you are looking for family activities, we have got you covered.
Children are our future, and we are committed to their early childhood development. Our programs are designed to nurture their growth and development. We provide a supportive environment that encourages learning and exploration.
We are a community that cares. We believe in giving back and making a positive impact on our community. We invite you to give to the Y and support our mission. Your contribution can make a difference in the lives of many.
Join us and become part of our community. Get involved with our programs and help us make a difference. Together, we can make your community a better place for all.
Black History Month
February is Black History Month, a time to remember and celebrate the Black leaders who have helped move the Y – and America – forward in our collective journey to advance inclusion and equity for all. Use this opportunity to share both the history of Black leaders within the YMCA, as well as highlights from past or present Black figures within your local community who have meaningfully contributed to your Y. The content below can be used as one large post or split into multiple posts as a series throughout the month. The hashtags, should you wish to use them, are #BlackHistoryMonth and/or #YForAll.
Included in this toolkit:
- Customizable social media copy
- Social media images (Facebook/Twitter 940x788, Instagram 1080x1080, Stories 1080x1920 & LinkedIn 1200x627) - hyperlinks to Canva files included!
- Canva social media templates (Facebook/Twitter 940x788, Instagram 1080x1080, Stories 1080x1920 & LinkedIn 1200x627)
- Customizable article, blog post and/or op-ed
- Customizable press release
- TikTok content idea
- Zoom/virtual meeting background
- T-shirt design
If you include a photo with your post, it should be no larger than 5 MB and, in a GIF, JPEG or PNG file format. Please note: if you use a local photo, please make sure to have signed photo release forms from anyone appearing in a picture. The Y’s photo release form is available on the Brand Resource Center.
In addition, please consult the Inclusive Language Style Guide for more information on crafting messaging related to identity language.
Questions? Contact [email protected].
Customizable Social Media Copy & Images
Canva Social Media Templates & Suggested copy
Canva social media templates are available for the Black History Month campaign! Certain elements on the design have been made customizable. Please refer to the Brand Graphics Guide and the Find Your Y Messaging Guide for more information on the appropriate guidelines.
To change the photo in Canva, navigate to the Uploads tab. Upload a new image or choose one already in your folder. Click the desired image and it will be added to the canvas automatically (do not drag and drop.) Resize the image to be the same size or larger than the canvas. With the image still selected click the Position button. Next select Backward. This will push the new image behind the text and graphics overlays, and place it on the Background, overwriting the previous image.
For a quick Canva template FAQ, please refer to the Canva Quick Start Guide.
Please note: if you use a local photo, please make sure to have signed photo release forms from anyone appearing in a picture. The Y’s photo release form is available on the Brand Resource Center.
Customizable Newsletter/Email Article and/or Blog Post
Headline: Celebrating the Stories and Accomplishments of Black Leaders Within the Y Movement
The history of the YMCA – like the history of the United States – is a story of incremental progress toward greater inclusion and equity for all. As we celebrate #BlackHistoryMonth, we are honoring the stories of Black leaders who helped move the Y – and America – forward.
TikTok Content Idea
If you include any of your members on TikTok, please make sure to have signed photo release forms from anyone appearing in the video. The Y’s photo release form is available on the Brand Resource Center.
There are three (3) prompts which may prove to be fun and successful strategies. Use one or all of them throughout the month.
- Highlight Black Leaders: For the Black History Month campaign, take the opportunity to highlight key Black leaders within both your Y (staff, volunteers, members, donors) as well as within your local community who have made a lasting impact on your association. Rather than interview the person, get others who know these individuals well to share their thoughts of them and their contributions to your Y. Make this a shout-out campaign, thanking these Black leaders for all that they do for the movement and celebrate them for the entire month.
- Show Black-Owned Businesses Some Love: Another idea is to highlight Black-owned businesses within your community and do a quick running list of locally owned restaurants, retail shops, services, etc. that your Y members may be interested in checking out during the month of February. Be sure to tag these businesses (if applicable) and make sure they get some love during Black History Month.
- Encourage Youth to Read Books by Black Authors: During Black History Month, you can highlight both children’s and young adult books by Black authors and encourage young readers to add these books to their reading plan for the month – and beyond! Start exploring those titles here.
Zoom/virtual meeting background
A Zoom/Virtual Meeting Background is now available for the Black History Month campaign! Feel free to use this background while in virtual meetings during the month of February.
To change your virtual meeting background, please refer to the instructions for your virtual meeting client below. If your virtual meeting client is not listed, please refer to the settings options within your platform, or reach out to your IT team.
CLICK HERE FOR Zoom background instructions
A Native American Heritage Month shirt has been created, if you plan on purchasing shirts for staff or members! These are great if your Y plans on taking part in any community events or celebrations. Note: this is only the artwork, you will still need to place an order with an apparel vendor of your choice. The file is available in both one color and full color ink, depending on your preference and budget. You can download the print-ready artwork here.
Use this flyer template at your Y to highlight any Black History Month activities or information. Available as black & white or full color flyer, depending on printing needs. You can access the Canva template here.